Summer is slowly coming to an end. While we are still having fun and embracing the last few months of summer, we must remember to continue to take care of our skin. Having a solid skincare routine that is applicable to all seasons and climate is most beneficial to an individual. With the heat and humidity of summer, our skin is faced with different challenging external environments that could potentially make us break out. The transition from cold weather to hot weather is definitely hard, especially if you have sensitive skin. But we have a few tips that we recommend you doing this summer to maintain your healthy skin!
Sunscreen should be worn all year round. But since more people go out during the summer, it is definitely essential if you plan on staying in the sun for a long period. During the summer, the harmful UV rays are at their strongest and can easily damage your skin if you are not wearing sunscreen. With the damaging effects of UV rays, it can lead to skin conditions or even cancer. To prevent any damage to your skin, dermatologists suggest using a sunscreen that has SPF 30 or higher. Applying a layer of sunscreen is great, but you can increase your protection by reapplying. The Skin Cancer Foundation suggests that you should reapply sunscreen every two hours for maximum protection.
Be Careful of Retinols
Retinol has many benefits for the skin such as, skin brightening, treatment for hyperpigmentation, smooth out fine lines and fighting acne. However, with all its added benefits, too much can actually damage the skin. The use of retinol causes your skin to be more sensitive, especially towards the sun. Although retinol can lead to sun damage, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it. If you plan on using retinol during the summer, make sure you also use SPF too. Using a broad-spectrum SPF and regularly reapplying will protect you from harmful rays and keep your skin looking good.
Wear Protective Clothes
To ensure that your skin avoids the sun, you should wear clothes that can protect you from the sun. When you’re going out, try wearing a hat or sunglasses. Hats can protect your scalp from any excessive heat or dryness caused by the sun. Sunglasses are also recommended too as they protect your cornea and the sensitive areas around your eyes.
Stick to a Light and Simple Skin Car Routine
Having a lighter skin care routine during the summer can be better for you. During the summer, you are more likely to produce excess oil and sebum, so you’ll want to use lighter products. Having a facial cleanser that has a foam consistency is gentle on the skin while also effective at cleansing. As for your moisturizer, you should use a lighter and non-comedogenic moisturizer, which means it won’t clog your pores. Thicker moisturizers will leave your skin feeling greasy during the hot summer air. When looking for a good moisturizer, look out for products with niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3. Vitamin B3 is known to minimize redness and control the production of excess oil.
What Should My Skin Care Routine Look Like?
- Cleanse: Start your morning with a gentle gel cleanser.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C and E contain antioxidant properties that prevent signs of aging. It also helps protect your skin from UV exposures and other environmental stressors.
- Moisturize & SPS: There are many 2-in-1 products that provide sun protection and skin hydration.
- Cleanse: After a whole day full of activities, your skin produces oils and sweat that can clog up your pores. A gentle cleanser can get rid of all the dirt that has accumulated throughout the day.
- Retinol: Retinoids assist in the stimulation of collagen production helping the skin’s elasticity and stretchiness.
- Eye Cream: Eye creams can help you wake up bright and refreshed. Dark circles surrounding your eyes can ruin your summer vibe.
- Night Cream: Using a night cream can seal all the products you used previously to help your skin from transepidermal water loss.
Ditch heavy products that can clog your pores, and instead opt for a light cleanser that can gently cleanse your face. And while it is necessary to wear SPF in the summer, you should always wear SPF in all various weather. Perfecting your daily skincare routine will leave your skin healthy and glowing.